Goodbye 2009! Imagine that, its been a full year since I made the resolutions that changed my life! And let me tell you, its been one hell of a year.
So, first order of buisness- comments/updates on last years resolutions.
1. Paint more. It brings me the rare calm of mind that allows me to think. Its better than meditation. Lets see, Yes, I did do a lot more artwork in 2009, although not as much as I would like. I did a few murals for my kindergarten classroom, which was defintly a good thing.
2. Volenteer. Spend at least one holiday this year helping others. Soup kitchen, Safe harbor-something. The lack of people who will help others in this world is astonishing-and I don't want to or intend to become one of those selfish people who can't get past their own issues. This one is almost laughable. If you dont already know, in Novemeber I became a VISTA (Volenteer in Service to America- Also known as the domestic peace corps). I love it. I pledged a year of my life to helping at risk youth and fighting poverty with a passion. Bring it on!
3. Spend at least one day a week with my cell phone turned off. Compleatly off. No texts, no calls, nothing. Just peace and quiet. I love my friends, but sometimes I think they just add to my stress. Ok. Yea. This one didn't happen. At all.
4. Learn more. In particular, languages. I want to improve my French, Russian, and possibly even Japanese. Maybe even work on my Quetcha, Hungarian, and Swahili. Languages didn't really get worked on.. Except for my ebonics. Defintly up to date on those.
5. Find peace and happiness in the little things. I have learned a little about this from my work in Kindergarten, but everyone needs to improve in this. See something that you like? Take a moment and figure out why you like it. Is it the color? The shape? Does it somehow trigger a memory? Not only have I done this but I have massivly suceeded in this. I'm a much happier, more relaxed person than I was a year ago, and it is great.
6. Continue to be a good friend. Too many people I know are too caught up in themselves to be a good friend to ANYONE, and I don't want to be that kind of person. People like to use others-like making them go to a bar only so they can buy drinks for the other. People like to steal things- even as something as little as some makeup from a friends bathroom. People like to lie- pretending to be someones friend only to get information for someone else. All of these things are WRONG and I do not want to be a part of anyones life who practices these things.
Again, I did this to an extreame- and it has payed off. I've dropped the people who were in my life and treated me like shit... and I have made friends with a lot of new people who are genuinly good people.
7. Tell the Truth. Yes, I have made mistakes. Everyone has. Thats normal-however what sets people apart from the pack is the ability to realize that lying about said mistake only makes it worse. All of my mistakes have something in common- I will admit to them wholy. I will not lie about them. So if I object venomously to something- guess what-thats a sure sign that I didn't do what the rumors say I did. Ok, so. This could still use some work. I need to get some of my fire back, instead of letting everything roll off my shoulders.
8. Extend my appreaciation of art and music. In the past I have been too busy to paint or play or listen to music-and I dont like that. I feel like I have lost a part of me. This year, I will bring that back. I will also work on my writting. Maybe even finish up some of those novels that I have been writing. Journal more. Possibly even blog philisophicly. I clearly didn't do so well at the journaling, however music has made a huge comeback in my life.
9. Rid my life of those who treat me bad. I am too compassionate for my own good- and that can be a problem when I have several people in my life who just want me to help them with their problems, be there when they need me, do what they want, see who they want to see.. I think you get my point. Friendship is a two way street. While I will regret the loss of some of these people-it is defintly for my better to get them out of my life. SUCESS! This one I did so well with! I am so happy with the changes in my life in this aspect.
10. Practice what I preach. So many people are all talk. What's the point of talking if you can't follow through with it? It just cheapens who you are. Again, A massive success!
Anyway, I am pretty proud of last years resolutions and how those changes have affected my life.... Next up.... 2010 and the changes it will bring!!
x x x x
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment